Friday, October 3, 2014

“Give A Shout-out!”


There are a many phrases that slide into everyday conversation and instantly take hold. One such phrase is, “I’d like to give a shout-out….” Did you ever wonder how and when it first started and who brought it into being?

Some think it first hit the air waves when an athlete was interviewed after winning a game and wanted to give a shout-out to all those who made the win possible. Others think it caught on when DJ Ralph McDaniels had a radio show out of New York City and used the phrase as his signature way to say hello to certain people over the air waves. Truth is, no one knows.

Everyone agrees that it is a slang expression and that it is a public expression of thanks and gratitude.  I like that, an expression of thanks and gratitude. I don’t know about you, but at times I assume everyone knows how thankful and grateful I am. Maybe I need to give out more shouts!

I think about all the kind and good and wonderful people that cross my path each day and each one deserve a shout. I think about my family, so much to be thankful for that the shouts would rattle the rafters. I think about friends and neighbors who need a shout-out. I think about all the amazing Sardis members who bless this world and me, and as the old song goes, “You make me wanna shout!” (Isley Brothers, 1959.  Am I giving some hints about my past?)

Some proper Presbyterians might blush at the thought of giving a shout-out to the Lord, but the Bible says, “Shout to God with loud songs of joy!”  (Psalm 47)   We all might do well to do a little more shouting to the Lord.  As we have sometimes sung at the early worship: “Shout to the Lord”.

Is there anyone you want to give a shout-out to today? I hope so. And maybe a “Shout to the Lord” as well will make your day whole. This old world needs a few more shouters! 
  

1 comment: