Monday, May 11, 2015

“Adios, Au Revoir, Auf Wiedersehen”

Years ago, one of the most popular shows on television was the “Lawrence Welk Show”, a musical variety show that starred big band leader, Lawrence Welk.  It had a run of 32 years, ending in 1971.  You can still catch reruns, and even if you don’t like the big band sound, you will get a chuckle out of the hairdos and fashions!

One night when Corrine and I were visiting a famous BBQ restaurant just east of Pittsburgh in Monroeville, PA, called LaBarbe’s, the waitress told us a story about Lawrence Welk.  She said that the night before, just as they were getting ready to close, she heard her boss on the phone saying, “I am sorry Larry, we are about to close.  You do this every time; why don’t you call earlier?”  The Larry on the other end was Lawrence Welk, a boyhood friend of the owner, who wanted to bring the entire band in for some BBQ.   The waitress said her boss gave in like he did each time Larry called.

While I don’t recall much about the Lawrence Welk Show, I do remember that he always closed the show with the song, “Adios, Au Revoir, Auf Wiedersehen.”  Some of the lyrics seem most fitting as this is my last blog as your pastor.

And though it’s always sweet sorrow to part,
You know you’ll always remain in my heart…
Here’s a wish and a prayer that every dream comes true
And now ‘till we meet again,
Audios, au revoir, auf wiedersehen”

A special thank you to Jessica Otto and JJ Getz, who against all of my protests got me blogging, and especially to Nikki Livingston, Dr. Ed Shoaf, and my wife Corinne: my ghost writers, editors, and encouragers.  Also, a thank you to all of you who took the time to read my blogs. I am sure someone else will slide into this slot soon. In the meantime, audios, au revoir, auf wiedersehen! 

5 comments:

  1. Adios, au revoir, auf wiedersehen! And thanks for the blog and all your work. May you find wonderful things in your time up North. Princeton is a beautiful town, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're going to miss you tremendously, Tom. Thanks for everything!
    - Joe and Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom we've had a blessed 20 years at Sardis with you beginning with our very first "pre-marriage" session in your office. Ashley and I will miss you dearly. Sincere congratulations on your next post at Princeton - I can't think of a better place for you and Corrine to begin your next chapter! Many continued blessings to you both.
    Troy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll miss your blogs! Maybe you can start them again in your new chapter of life! Let us know if you do and we'll be sure to follow! Best wishes!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will miss your blogs. They were so down-to-earth and I felt as if I knew you on a more personal level through them.
    Annette

    ReplyDelete