Friday, October 23, 2015

"Carpe Diem"



The Uptown streetcar reminds me of my days in Ottawa, as a boy, riding the Bank Street Streetcar.  The green and yellow conveyance on Elizabeth looks just like the ones I traveled years ago.

Linda and I have enjoyed several streetcar trips on Elizabeth in Charlotte. Yes, it is noisy. It delivers lots of students to Central Piedmont Community College. Of course the ridership is positive – it is free! It runs from the Time Warner Cable Arena for a mile and a half down to Novant Presbyterian Hospital. The politicians felt that $37 million was worth it.

We like it for two reasons; one, conversations with strangers just happen while both waiting and riding. Two, it takes us to some good eating establishments, such as Earl’s Grocery, Customshop and Carpe Diem.

My favorite is Carpe Diem. The name alone is an attraction. The interior is a reflection of a Paris Metro Station. The innovative menu and friendly service are part of the attraction.

Carpe Diem really means “Pluck the Day” as in picking ripe fruit. I prefer “Seize the Day.”  It reminds me of the fresh opportunity we have each day to start over.

The Psalmist said it first, “This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.” 

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment