Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Kudos to our young people who kicked off our series on the Ten Commandments. Many of their words on the first commandment, "you shall have no other gods before me," are still echoing in my brain as I prepare to write a sermon on the second commandment. Their words, such as "many things can trump God," or "the first commandment seems so obvious, until you really stop to think about it." Or "I need God more than God needs me." Or the one that really took my breathe away, "come as you are, but don't stay that way." I scribbled notes all over my bulletin as they spoke. Each one in their own way reminded us that God needs to be the first priority in our lives.

This week we'll explore what it means to worship the one true God. If you have time, read the story of the golden calf in Exodus. It's the basis for our sermon this week. But don't worry, I won't be asking for your gold watches or earrings.

1 comment: