Monday, July 13, 2015

Guest Post: "Beyond Measure"



The tape measure and I have been getting to know each other very well these past few months.  I feel like every time I turn around somebody has the tape measure pulled around me somewhere. Between wedding dress fittings, bridesmaid dress fittings for my best friend’s wedding, and my weekly measurements at the gym, I think every part of me has been measured.

At my gym, I am taking part in the Summer Slimdown Challenge. I have a competitive nature, so naturally, when I was offered to join the challenge, I accepted… and of course it wouldn’t hurt to look and feel amazing when my fiancé sees me in my wedding dress in a couple of months. To be successful in the challenge, I have to fuel myself by eating well, and shape up by taking classes at the gym. The challenge also requires me to measure and weigh in every Monday through the summer. I walk into the gym and greet my friend, the measuring tape. It hugs me around my neck, chest, waist, and thighs as I stand wondering if I measure up to my goals and my coach’s expectations. My coach marks my progress and I can see my changes on paper. Then I join a class (or two) and feel my growth physically. I am a work in progress.

All this measuring of my ever changing body made me pause and wonder if God does the same with our faith. “Do I measure up in God’s eyes?” Faith grows, changes, and shapes just like our bodies do. As the Holy Spirit fuels us, we continue to grow up spiritually. We are a work in progress.

One day, I will reach my physical goals and I’ll measure up to my coach’s expectations. However, we do not need to fear if we will ever measure up to God’s expectations of us. Because of what Jesus did for us on the cross, we measure up fully. No measuring tape could mark down our progress; we are loved beyond measure.

Until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.  Ephesians 4:13






Nikki Livingston is Sardis' Communications Director. She is also a student at Arizona State University in the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communications. Nikki spends her free time volunteering as the event chair for the American Cancer Society, Relay For Life event in Ballantyne. She also loves to spend time playing with her dog Macy and spoiling her two nieces and two nephews. 

No comments:

Post a Comment