Friday, July 17, 2015

Guest Post: "Not Enough Time in the Day"



One week, 168 hours, until I walk down the aisle to marry my best friend. One week, 168 hours is all I have left to finish the endless To-Do list for this big day. Stress? You could say we are becoming best friends.

Stress seems to fill every aspect of our days, trying to cram in all the activities or work projects into our 24-hour days. It seems like these tasks, the endless To-Do list, or whatever it may be will never get done and our health and priorities become askew. We replace our meals, gym and meditation time, and time spent with God and family on completing tasks by the deadline set for us. But where does this get us? Is this a meaningful way to live our lives?

I have spent at least the past two weeks replacing my workout, running, and time with God’s Word with wedding and work tasks. Even though I was making progress and able to cross off tasks, the stress kept eating away at me. Not until I took the time to go on my five mile run (which is a soothing way to meditate and feel closer to God) did I realize that I was feeling this stress because I had placed the time I spent with God as a lower priority.

In two weeks, all of these tasks aren’t important anymore. I got so caught up in making this wedding perfect for the guests that I started to miss the big picture: Nick and I will be joined in marriage and become one, just as Christ is one with the Church.

We get so caught up in the demands of our work and family lives that I wonder what do we miss each day? Is the stress in our daily lives not allowing us to see the bigger picture? There’s a saying: “Don’t tell me where your priorities are. Show me where you spend your time and money and I’ll tell you what your priorities are”. Let’s turn our eyes away from the worthless, earthly stresses to find our eternal life and joy in Him.

Psalm 119:37 Turn my eyes from worthless things, and give me life through Your Word.





Kaitlyn Davis is the Associate Director of Music and Organist. Here at Sardis, Kaitlyn’s expertise is engaged as she plays the organ, piano, and keyboards for our traditional and contemporary worship services, accompanies the sanctuary choir, occasionally rings in the bell choirs, and assists in growing our music ministry, especially the children and youth music programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment