Friday, July 24, 2015

Guest Post: "Prayer Sharing"



In my life and particularly in my ministry, I find great joy in sharing resources. I love to share links to fascinating news articles and blog posts, sermons, book recommendations. If there is something I’ve read that I think hits the nail on the head, my first thought is: who can I share this with?  And so, today, I decided to share with all of you one of my favorite prayers.

When I was in seminary, my uncle, who is a professor of religion at the University of Florida, shared this prayer with me. To this day, it continues to nourish me and give me hope. It was written by Thomas Merton, who was an American Trappist monk.

During this time of transition here at Sardis, in our country, and in many of our lives, this prayer truly speaks to the spiritual longing and anxieties that exists within each of us. As you read this prayer, pray it not only for yourself, but on behalf of everyone in our church family.

MY LORD GOD, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
- Thomas Merton, Thoughts in Solitude





Rev. Katie Harrington is the Associate Pastor for Families here at Sardis. Katie lives in Charlotte with her husband Todd, son Max, and daughter Josie. When Katie is not writing inspiring sermons, she enjoys reading, hiking with her family, and working out.

No comments:

Post a Comment