Friday, June 9, 2017

"Fifteen Minutes Each Day"

I do not intend to reduce our interaction with God to a boring, perfunctory routine. However, I do practice and believe in a daily devotional routine. There are 96 fifteen-minute packages in every day.

Take fifteen minutes each day to realign your agenda to God’s redemptive program: five minutes for reading the Bible, five minutes for reflection on the Scriptures, and five minutes for prayer. Spiritual habits have proven to be productive. I know they can become more rote than real. This practice, when consistently maintained, becomes second nature to us.

‘Virtue”, writes the popular Anglican, N.T. Wright, “is what happens when wise and courageous choices have become ‘second nature’.” Spiritual discipline helps to immerse us in the sea of God’s grace in Jesus Christ.

Ruth Haley Barton in Sacred Rhythms wrote,  “I cannot transform myself, or anyone else for that matter. What I can do is create the conditions in which spiritual transformation can take place, by developing and maintaining a rhythm of spiritual practices that keep me open and available to God.”
No, I am not a promotor of the drudgery of habit. To seek a sense of the presence of the Lord each day can open you to fresh surprises of God’s grace.

Blessings!


No comments:

Post a Comment