Tuesday, January 5, 2016

"A Word of Affection"



Today, we have twice as many cars per person than we did thirty years ago. Yes, as a nation we are richer but unhappier. The nasty D’s have caught up with us; depression, divorce, domestic violence, and drugs. They cause pain that defies measurement. 

Satisfaction is not getting what you want but wanting what you have. Jesus said, “I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.”
John 15:11 

Joy is an unexpected gift growing out of our intimate relationship with the Christ. The tell-tale traits are self-esteem, self-control and optimism. We are not momentary blips on the big screen of the universe. What makes for significance? Our prayers, patience, charitable giving, hope, time and community investments all start with a simple step of faith. Nothing good comes from apathy.

Leo Tolstoy, the great literary Russian superstar, walked past a street-corner beggar. Tolstoy reached into his pocket to give the beggar some money, but discovered his pocket was empty. He said to the beggar, “I’m sorry, my brother, but I have nothing to give.” The discouraged man brightened and said, “You have given me more than I asked for – you have called me Brother!” 

To the world, a word of affection is a crumb, but to the love-starved, a word of affection can be a feast!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment